It is by now old news that Panerai are marrying exotic and luxurious travel experiences to some of their most limited watches this year. And I have to say that I do envy the lucky clients that can dig out 35.000 EUR from the depth of their pockets to join these experiences that Panerai put on with their ambassadors. The experiences are unique, and the watches are all supercool.
During SIHH I had a chance to sit down with the man who put his name on one of the novelties. Guillaume Néry is the new ambassador for Panerai.
I must admit I had never heard of the dude before, but according to my French friend, he is a legend. Guillaume Néry is a world renowned freediver with several records and a huge social media following.
With a history like Panerai, building a relationship with a diver is just common sense really. And Guillaume Néry is also a personality that fit right into their already established partnership with Mike Horn, and their quest for a sustainable future for the oceans.
Who is this guy?
Guillaume lives half the year in Nice and the other half in the South Pacific, the French Polynesia. He has been diving non-stop for years, pushing boundaries, but then suddenly everything changed.
– In 2015, I had an accident and I stopped this quest of records, but I’m still diving. I’m still sometimes competing, but with another approach. I’m trying new experiences, which are not specifically like pushing world records limits, but more trying new things. Last year, I did a competition, I tried to go as deep as possible with almost nothing. Just a swim suit in the Mediterranean Sea.
– The idea was to make a challenge with my body and my mind to face the cold water and try to find deep inside of me the resources to find a good connection even in very hostile conditions.
– I mean for me, free-diving is like a philosophy. It’s like a lifestyle. I can enjoy just going a few meters, and just relax as much as possible. Trying to feel the connection with the sea and the ocean.
I can also enjoy exploring new places and encounter wild animals. The Sperm Whale, for instance, was very special.
Sperm Whales are very special because of what they mean to us. They are the are the animal that can dive the deepest and they can stay under for more than one hour, on one breath. On top of that, they look very special. Their looks are in between a space creatures and a submarine. They’re also very, very intelligent animals in the way they communicate, and the way they interact.
These are the exceptional sentiments and feelings Guillaume Néry and Panerai will try to convey to a group of privileged clients that will travel with him to his home base on the island of Mo’orea in the French Polynesia. It is here the 15 clients will get a unique opportunity to dive with the legend.
– I think that, at the end, that’s the best way to get people to really understand what it means. To experience. I really love that new way of sharing with the customers. Creating experience.
– There’ll maybe be people that never tried a mask on in their life. If after two or three days I can give them just a taste of the magic, I think they will remember for the rest of their life the meaning of what they had just bought. It’s not just a watch, it’s a story.
The watch – PAM983
Clients will be accompanied by a glorious Submersible for the experience. A P.9100 flyback chronograph movement sit in a 47 mm titanium watch case with a matte black DLC coating. A ceramic rotating bezel surround the highlight of the watch, a beautiful textured blue degradé dial with sea-foam green coloured accents and hands.
In my opinion Panerai may be pushing their limits whit the direction of marketing and selling these watches, but it is a bold move. And I applaud both the sympathetic and well-intentioned ambassadors and the design of the watches. I really, really hope they can pull it off.
Check also Guillaume Néry on Facebook